About 5 years ago (4/2015) I joined The Classics Club with the intent of reading 50 classic titles in 5 years (4/2015-4/2020). Unfortunately, I did not read all the 50 classic titles I had set out to do by that deadline.
Regardless, I still stand strong in my determination to read these titles even if it takes me another 5 years.
My list was composed of books I had heard of and never read. Books you know you should have read and never got around reading it, as well as inspiration from Goodreads lists and the Big Book List.
I’m not planning on reading these books in the same sequence as I have listed. Some books will have a review available, and some will not, and there is no set number of books I plan to read in a year. I will be crossing them out as I’m reading them.
So here is my list:
Twain, Mark ~ The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Dumas, Alexandre ~ The Three Musketeers Steinbeck, John ~ The Pearl Dostoyevsky, Fyodor ~ The Brothers Karamazov
- Whitman, Walt ~ Leaves of Grass
Atwood, Margarete ~ Alias GraceReviewed Blake, William ~ Songs of Innocence and of Experience William Faulkner ~ As I Lay DyingReviewed
- Victor Hugo ~ The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
- Goldsmith, Oliver ~ The Vicar of Wakefield
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel ~ The House of the Seven Gables
- Haywood, Eliza ~ Love in Excess
- Fielding, Henry ~ Joseph Andrews
- Shelley, Mary ~ The Last Man
- Eliot, George ~ The Mill on the Floss
- Eliot, George ~ Middlemarch
- James, Henry ~ The Wings of the Dove
Verne, Jules ~ Around the World in Eighty Days Rhys, Jean ~ Wide Sargasso SeaReviewed Bronte, Charlotte ~ Villette Bronte, Anne ~ The Tenant of Wildfell HallReviewed Wharton, Edith ~ The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton
- Wharton, Edith ~ The Age of Innocence
Stegner, Wallace ~ Angle of Repose
- Woolf, Virginia ~ A Room of One’s Own
- Woolf, Virginia ~ The Waves
- Angelou, Maya ~ I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Ishiguro, Kasuo ~ The Remains of the DayReviewed Cather, Willa ~ Death Comes for the Archbishop Doyle, Arthur Conan ~ The Hound of the BaskervillesReviewed Christie, Agatha ~ Murder on the Orient Express
- Wilde, Oscar ~ The Canterville Ghost
- Washington, Irving ~ The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang ~ Faust Alighieri, Dante ~ Inferno Alighieri, Dante ~ Purgatorio Salinger, J. D. ~ The Catcher in the Rye
- Heller, Joseph ~ Catch-22
- Chandler, Raymond ~ The Big Sleep
- James, Henry ~ The Portrait of a Lady
- Smith, Betty ~ A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
- O’Connor, Flannery ~ Wise Blood
- Collins, Wilkie ~ The Woman in White
Collins, Wilkie ~ The Moonstone––Reviewed Dickens, Charles ~ Oliver Twist Austen, Jane ~ Mansfield Park Tolstoy, Leo ~ Anna Karenina
- Tolstoy, Leo ~ War and Peace
Lowry, Lois ~ The Giver Greene, Graham ~ The End of The Affair –Reviewed
4 thoughts on “The Classics Club Challenge”
Read quite a few of these but so many more to read ha!
Yes! So many books and so little time.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I have that quote as one of my posts ha
LikeLiked by 1 person